Helping each other keep on track with the goals we've set for ourselves.

Friday, January 25, 2008

cough cough

So far, I'm still trying to recuperate from a never ending bout of bronchitis. At least I'm calling it bronchitis. It started with a nasty taste in the back of my throat and progressed to a never ending cough which eventually was diagnosed as bronchitis, and almost 3 weeks later, I'm still sick. I actually think this is my third viral something or another that has run together, so I've been sick for much of this new year.

I'm going to lay the blame on Christopher. Toddlers aren't good at sharing toys, but they're very good at sharing germs. Between sharing food that has been in their mouths and the perpetual runny nose along with the refusal to wash hands, especially when soap is involved, loving a toddler is sharing their illnesses. At least we all got our flu shots early this year.

Meanwhile, Michael has started a year long leave, and I start working full-time at the beginning of February. I realized this morning that I haven't worked full-time since I had Timothy (which was 7 years ago). I don't expect it to be a huge change since it's the same job, just more hours. Still, it's a bit of a shock to be the primary breadwinner in the family again, since last time it was just the two of us and no mortgage.

When it rains, it pours. I also have a mess of dental work to deal with now. I managed to lose a crown. I had a baby tooth extracted about 5 years ago and had an implant and crown installed. The crown keeps popping off. It did again earlier this week, and I wrapped it in a tissue and stuck it in my pocket since I had to go pick up Timothy and take him to Chinese class. After I get there, I find a icky used tissue in my pocket and throw it away since I've got nasty used tissues everywhere because it's cold and flu season. A few hours later, when I'm picking Timothy up, I realize that the nasty tissue I threw away contained my crown. After pawing through several bags of garbage and not finding my crown, I give up. YUCK!

The good news is, my dentist thinks we should do something about the implant post because the crown is obviously not staying attached. So, even if I did have the crown, we probably would have looked into replacing it eventually since this is the 3rd time it's come off in 5 years. It's supposed to stay permanently attached. So, I have a missing tooth in addition to the sore throat and cough.

Can I use that as an excuse for not getting around to Christmas cards or thank you notes?

3 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

Oooh, you have my sympathy. I had my first root canal just before Christmas, and got a nasty virus not long after that. It's been very slow to leave (I still have gunk in my throat and a mild cough) but the dr. said no bronchitis. It's hard to shake this stuff, and there seem to be some nasty respiratory things going around this year. Hang in there.

Jill in MA said...

Owen never fully rid of the cough he got long before Christmas, and now he's got a new cold. It's been a tough year.
Yes, it's ok that you haven't sent out any holiday cards. (Although I love getting pics of everyone's kids!)

Susan Z said...

One year we got Mardi Gras cards from someone! Also, if you miss a year people will be just so much more delighted to hear what's been going on next year.